Help? Flat rear tire on Vino

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Macgyyver

Help? Flat rear tire on Vino

Post by Macgyyver »

GRRRR. It must have been too low and popped the bead.

Anyone know IF I can get the sucker to re-seat without taking off the wheel? (And the exhaust…)

We tried putting air in it - it seemed to hold, but by the time we drove home with it in the back of the Element, it was flat again. I could hear some air escaping if the tire was at a certain rotation.

Tire says it's a tube tire, Rim says it's suitable for tubeless…

It has a straight valve stem which makes it nearly impossible to get air into the thing if I don't have a compressor with a little 90 degree head on it. I was considering new tires, but maybe need a rim too.

I'm sure it's cheaper to take it off and take it to a tire guy than a bike shop… but…

Thanks for any help!

Cheers!

Monica
AKA - desperate to ride it again soon
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Are you sure you don't have a puncture?
fill er up with air.
get a dish with some soapy water.
rotate the wheel/tire around and lather soapy water on the tire with your hand. You'll find the leak pretty quick.

If it is just the bead, then filler up until the bead seals again. Them small foot pumps don't get enough air in there quick enough. A bigger compressor is sure handy at this point.

I don't think the entire exhaust needs to come completely off, a quick google search indicates if you remove the exhaust mount bolts and loosen the exhaust/head bolts it should rotate enough to wiggle the tire/rim out. But at this point you pretty much have it off anyways. Its most likely worth it to get out of the way to have more room to work with the tire.
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

Kinda what I guessed. I felt the whole tire with my hand looking for puncture, but didn't feel any foreign objects. Soapy water is the go-to, so off I go. Here's hoping the rim isn't damaged.

I can't get my little 12V compressor or bike pump on the straight valve -
just not enough clearance with the drive hub. Next one will be a 90 for sure. Never getting a straight one again.

I'll go grab the compressor from Paul's tonight. I miss having my scoot! Riding the big bike home yesterday was nice, but just isn't the same. :-D

Addictions. Whaddya do?
Rick

Post by Rick »

Wow I thought I was the only Vino Rider in this crew! What CC size is your bike? I've never had a problem with my bike and I love it. Rides nice. Easy to maintain. I custom painted mine and changed out the rear signals for more stylish ones. One of these days I'll make it in to the big city.
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

I love the vino. I'm short and it fits me perfect. I have an '01 2-stroke 50cc. Beat up rental from Waterton. But it's great. I'm thinking I'll upgrade to the 125 cc eventually.

Turns out there's a couple of teeny holes in the tire. And I think there's a tube, which means huge FAIL. Crappy. So, who votes for taking the tire off and dropping it at Argyll or Alta Cycle? or option #2, just drop the whole beast and let them look after it?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Remove the wheel yourself and bring it into the shop. Just be prepared, you may have to buy a new tire.
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

Any recommendations on buying a tire online? Or just take what the shop offers?
=~=~=
2001 Vino YJ50 2-stroke (Just rolled 26,000kms - yes that's right - 26!)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom "Blaze"
2006 new to me Vespa LX150 8,000kms with character
2006 hand-me-down Vespa LX150 33,000kms
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Scooter tires are pretty cheap and shipping on something that large is moderately expensive so that it's usually cheaper to let a local shop bring it in for you.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

If they have it in stock already, then i know what my choice would be. Even if its in some warehouse in western Canada.
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

Tire removed. Not too hard, but not sure I'd want to do it alone. Dunno how I'd get scoot re-parked by myself without a tire!

Now to start calling around to see if anyone has tire in stock or near stock. :-)
=~=~=
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

SUCCESS! We have a tire. Mounted and ready to go thanks to the folks at Alberta Cycle.

Thanks to Paul for his extra muscle it's mounted and running. No torque wrench, so it's a best guess. Here's hoping that the muffler gasket is seated ok. One of the bolts fell out and we had to re-attach it all. Grr.

The new tire feels a little taller I think.

Tires happen to be on sale right now at Alberta Cycle (they don't do discounts for clubs any longer - but they'll sell you their membership club), and they had a 3.00 Pirelli for $29 in stock. The mounting however was $35. They fill with Nitrogen for extra fee if you don't tell them you don't care that it's air.

They also said a 90 degree valve stem was going to be $20, so they put a little stubby flexible valve stem on it for me. Woohoo.

Browsing through the online PartsCanada catalogue, I could have picked anything I wanted and had it next day or 2 (depending on where you shop - I often call Phil @ Chrometoys.com in Calgary), so if you're looking for new skins, check out the online catalogue. I'll need a front sooner or later.

Turns out the old tire had a couple of teeny tiny holes. Meh. Alberta Cycle doesn't patch tires. They have a "sample" of what happens to patched tires, in their opinion.

Ride ON!
=~=~=