Picked up my Vespa (Yay!)

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

gaburley

Picked up my Vespa (Yay!)

Post by gaburley »

Hi guys and gals;

Well I finally have it, I have my 2011, LX150ie. It was delivered to Kamloops and so I hopped on the bus and drove it home. Now I do realize that one should break in an engine fairly slowly, and I would have preferred to do it that way; but I had to get it home to Merritt, I don't drive and I really don't want a big shiny box marked "Vespa" sitting there as a temptation. So running out of funds (on my new life adventure), I took a chance and picked it up, gassed it up and drove er home.

Now in my defence I did take the secondary highway where speeds are slower and they often have posted speeds of 50 and 60.

I will have to work more hours as sadly, I think that I love this bike. I do have to readjust a few things after my ride but that is normal.

So, I do have a red flashing light, it flashes about once a second, what does that mean? I hope that it isn't serious.

My next trip will be to take my Chinese scooter (Tao Tao) to Kelowna for it's first service.

You know, I don't know why the Vespa is better, but it just feels better, mind you after 2 hours I still had a serious case of "numb butt"; and what is with those mirrors and how they attach, there has to be better after market ones.

I also bought the thickest chain that I could get and locked it with an "On Guard" disk lock (5047). However I will lock it to a large cement block with a large chain or bent piece of rebar. At this time however my scooters are locked together so if someone wants one they will have to carry them both away, then there is my guard Pomeranian-Poodle.

Glenn

alive and living in his own filth on Merritt BC
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

The red flashing light tells you the immobilizer circuit is active. It is always active but for 48 hours after you turn the bike off it basically says, "Hey, don't steal me, I won't work for you without the key anyway so please move along."

Enjoy your new bike.

T
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Motor breakin... There is some voodoo here. Some say...

Follow the users manual to a 'T'
or
Run er hard.

If you kept varying your speed on the way home and didn't sit at the same speed for too long i would think it's going to be OK.

As for your Vespa feeling better than your Tao Tao, think of it this way.
There are alot of differences that will make a bike feel better.

1. tires
2. brakes
3. dimensions/measurements
4. suspension
5. CVT/clutches
6. frame stiffness/flex
and the list goes on

I would bet not one damn thing between the Vespa and the Tao Tao are the same/similar other than they got two wheels and a seat.

An extra degree of rake or a different sized spring in suspension can make for differences that you can feel from the seat of your pants.

If a company is able to put more time/money into development you'll most likely end up with a better riding scoot every time.