2021 50cc Sprint Upgrades

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Papagirl

2021 50cc Sprint Upgrades

Post by Papagirl »

I bought a 2021 50cc Vespa sprint earlier this year and I'm looking to do some upgrades to it over the next few months to enhance its performance a bit. I realize it's still a 50cc and not gunna be some sort of rocketship lol.... But I'm looking for everyone's opinion on what would be the best first couple upgrades to give it a bit more of a speed boost? More bang for buck I guess.

Im new to this world so if you could suggest parts and even links to it that would be amazing ❤️
jbcollier

Re: 2021 50cc Sprint Upgrades

Post by jbcollier »

I would decide where you want to end up and work back from there. In the past you discussed an 80cc kit. If so, you would be looking at:

- derestriction kit (new electronic module)
- cylinder kit
- upgraded exhaust
- upgraded/rejetted carb
- upgraded variator rollers (possibly part of the derestriction kit)
- maybe a upgraded cam as well

You'll end up with a reasonably peppy scoot that should top 70 kph. It will also have non-standard parts that may be hard to source for future maintenance. If it were mine, I would sell it as is and buy a 150. It will go much faster and be easy to source parts for in the future. We've been over this before and it is your decision to make.

I help members with work and advice but I'm not a shop. Busy for the next while but spring is a ways away still.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Even better, a video from Vespa Motorsports on the injected 50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMG8IPEH_XM

They list the part numbers. They are an EXCELLENT place to source the parts.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

If you watch the video though, he agrees with me that a 150cc scoot is a better way to go. Again, your decision.
RedDogAB

Post by RedDogAB »

I agree. My Grom was 125cc and I zipped around the city like a boss. I just couldn’t do highways and I avoided the Henday. I was on the Yellowhead a couple times and survived.
When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before. - Vince Lombardi
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Dunno if it is still available but there is a variation kit for sale in our classifieds:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2801
Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

Thanks for tagging all these parts!

We definitely have to meet one of these days and discuss further if you're up for helping a girl out :)

Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

We will see!
jbcollier wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:55 am Dunno if it is still available but there is a variation kit for sale in our classifieds:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2801
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Girl, guy, what-have-you, all no problem. We help out club fellow members all the time.
RedDogAB

Post by RedDogAB »

jbcollier wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:31 am Girl, guy, what-have-you, all no problem. We help out club fellow members all the time.
I’m so grateful for this club kindness. I’m heading to year 44 riding but I’m a few removed from a warm garage and all my father’s tools. I use a walker on foot but am a few years removed from complete routine maintenance, not only via location but physical ability. Honestly, I may need some help.

Ps. I missed a couple Sunday backyard gatherings owing to NFL playoffs. That’s behind me so I can focus on spring. :D :mrgreen:
When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before. - Vince Lombardi
Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

Question for you all.

When talking to Scooter West about the variator upgrade and the 6.1g rollers that come with it. They mentioned something about going with heavier rollers if you have more of a heavier rider (male) so you get more output out of it. I'm probably explaining this horribly as it's not my typical lingo.

Can anyone provide a recommendation or clarity when it comes to choosing the right rollers? What to consider etc.

Thanks!!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Scooter West really know their stuff. I would tell them your weight and see what they recommend. I understand the basics but these people can explain it better:

http://www.scooterfocus.com/scooter_var ... eight.html
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

Perfect, thanks!