Hi from Wales in Great Britain

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Vespajules

Hi from Wales in Great Britain

Post by Vespajules »

Hi all,

Just stumbled onto your site while looking for vespa's in Canada. Myself (Jules) and my hubby (John) are coming over in april to Saskatchewan for a month to sort out our paperwork, hopefully we will be back over then in June living in Saskatoon! (I know Edmonton is quite a distance from Sask)

My only sadness leaving this country is we cant bring my GL150 :cry: we just cant afford to bring it over! so would appreciate any info on where we can get another Vespa (not twist and go) when we finally come out in June. Great site by the way - we have a good one over here: The Welsh Scooter Scene Forum.

Will keep our eyes on this site for forthcoming rallies when we have moved.

Bye for now :D
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Hello Jules, thanks for the post and welcome to Canada. Although you are crazy to be coming in the winter. Yes Saskatoon is a long way from Edmonton (same distance as Cardiff to Glasgow), but everything is a long way from everything else here.

Saskatoon is very flat but very beautiful. Definately an authentic prairie town and a wild west adventure for you both.

As for buying a Vespa once you get here, your best bet might be the For Sale sites like Craigslist and Buy and Sell. We can give you more info in June when you get settled.

We host our annual rally in June and Calgary has one in August.

Hope to meet you and John this summer,

Take care,

Jeff
I was a mod before you was a mod.
Vespajules

Hi

Post by Vespajules »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply! We have friends living in Martensville, so were hoping to settle there - however, our friends live apart at present as Dave works in Grande Cache. We will be taking a trip up there for a week in April, bit of a long journey we know but John has to get used to that if he's gonna be doing long haul trucking! I AM SO GLAD THERE ARE MODS IN CANADA!! sorry.. had to get that one in as John is heavily into his ska 8)

We will definately try and take a trip down to the rally in June - that's if were settled in etc, if not we will try the next one.. we have done loads here in Britain since the 80's. I hope there is somewhere I can buy my clothes over there as I have just sold all our stuff and were starting completely from scratch again.. big big venture for us. (were not parting with our music collection mind - that would be sacralidge!!)

Anyway, nice talking to you and hopefully meet up in the summer time.

Ride safe

Jules & John
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Hey Jules,
Really cool to hear from you. I'm sure once you settle down that we can also help out and keep an eye out for you and give you the heads up if any Vintage scooters become available on the open market. Lots of riders are looking for Vinatge even if they own a twist and go, so timing is important. An extra set of eyes especially if one is available in Edmonton will come in handy for you. The most common Vespa that usually pops up for sale are P series. Anyways do keep in touch and safe travels to you and John on your new adventure.

Ciao
Angelo
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Glad you are keeping your music, NEVER part with that! The shopping here is terrible for mod influenced clobber, you will end up having to mail order clothes from the UK. Sad but true.
Vespajules

Hi from Wales

Post by Vespajules »

Thanks Angelo for your reply - an extra pair of eyes would certainly help! cheers!

Im really gutted to be parting with my Vespa here.. John did a fantastic custom spray job on it and rebuilt it from scratch, a friend did some really cool airbrush work on it and fantastic murals of Martha Reeves and the Vandellas... so it's pretty original! still, Canada or Vespa... :roll: :? well I can always get another Vespa eh! :D :wink:

Thanks for your reply Jeff... guess I will have to get my clobber online then? or keep what I have and get it shipped out?? decisions, decisions!

Take care
[/img]
Jules

It's like finding a needle in a haystack.....
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Stop me if you have heard this before but...."BRING YOUR BIKE!!". Sell blood. Rob convenience stores. Do what you need to do to bring your bike over.

My vintage riding breathren (twist and go guy myself) may disagree with me on this as they are accustomed to scouring obscure parts of the globe to get parts and keep their machines running but the challenges of finding a reasonable older ride over here, compared to what you are used to at your current home, cannot be overstated. Show of hands all you crude city types who have litterally driven half way across the country to buy a bike or perhaps bought in the states or had a frame shipped from europe.

Are there bikes out there to be had. Certainly. But not in anywhere near the number and variety that you would hope. And if you do find one the planets really have to align for you to get a good deal.

So, in case you missed it :) BRING YOUR SCOOTER! On a personal note, Saskatoon is a great city. Lots of nice neighbourhoods to tour on a scooter and some great old neighbourhoods that don't have more than a couple hundred yards of straight road. Hope you have a great trip out in April and hope to see you this summer.

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

You gotta do what you gotta do but I second Trevor's motion. Bring the scoot!
DoesDerbiCount?

Post by DoesDerbiCount? »

P.S. You two are going to love Grande Cache. From what I'm told the Rockies are the only serious competition for the Alps in beauty. A very nice town as well, just be careful on the highway... There are a few sections where a wrong turn can send you down a long way.

Aside from that, not to sound redundant but welcome to the forum and to Canada!

Dan Z.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Bring your ride, It's worth it. I have restored 3 scooters, and If I could have found a complete bike that ran. I would have gladly gone through the hastle to get her home. You do have to do what you do, but I would bet you may be sorry if you don't. I regret selling my first bike.

- Dustin Kott-
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Has anyone recommended that they bring their scooter with them? LOL

Yes seriously, a few hundred pounds of crating and shipping will save you thousands in the future.
Vespajules

Post by Vespajules »

Oh noooooooo.. I got a dilema on my hands nows! :roll: I'm gonna have to seriously think about this! :?

We hope to meet up with you all in the summer..maybe on my scooter :roll:

ride safe 8) :)
Jules

It's like finding a needle in a haystack.....
noel

Post by noel »

I'll bet all but a handful of your 45s are replaceable. Sell the rest to pay for your shipping. I moved from England with 2 suitcases, 1 with clothes and 1 with records. Left a 1957 East Germany scooter behind :roll: .
BRING THE SCOOTER.
Good luck and I look forward to meeting you in the summer.
p.s. check out apocalypsesc in Calgary. We are nowhere near as cool as Edmonton but at least our hockey team doesn't suck :D
As far back as I can remember I've wanted to be Angelo
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

noel wrote:I'll bet all but a handful of your 45s are replaceable. Sell the rest to pay for your shipping. I moved from England with 2 suitcases, 1 with clothes and 1 with records. Left a 1957 East Germany scooter behind :roll: .
BRING THE SCOOTER.
Good luck and I look forward to meeting you in the summer.
p.s. check out apocalypsesc in Calgary. We are nowhere near as cool as Edmonton but at least our hockey team doesn't suck :D
Noel you had to draw that line in the sand didn't you!

- Dustin Kott-
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

It's the UK hockey teams that really, really, really suck.
giddyup