Help - ET2 50 Stalling Problems

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jgreeno

Help - ET2 50 Stalling Problems

Post by jgreeno »

I have a 2005 ET2 50 that keeps having stalling problems. Whether it be when the engine is cold or warm after a long ride, it seems to happen in both scenarios. Your drive along and then all of sudden the vespa dies. It takes several tries to get the scooter running again...

I have tried a complete spring cleaning of the bike, a carb cleaning, and a gas flush. Its still doing it...

Does anyone have any ideas for what the problem might be?

Thanks so much,
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Try searching here:

http://www.scooterbbs.com/bbs/dcboard.p ... s&forum=11

Post a question if you can't find the answer by searching.
jgreeno

Thanks

Post by jgreeno »

Thank you, that is a great site. I think I found a solution (fingers crossed...)
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Let us know if it works and, if it does, what it was.
Captainwhoopass

Post by Captainwhoopass »

When you say the engine stalls, are there any lights on the dash?

Perhaps also check the battery connections. I know of an ET2 that was having a similiar issue - turns out it was a faulty kill switch.
If you can't chrome it, curry it.
If you can't curry it, throw it away.
jgreeno

RE stalling

Post by jgreeno »

Captainwhoopass

It just chokes out back to an idle. The engine is still running. When you go to give it some throttle it lugs like it is stuck in cement, and if you don't let off the throttle it will stall out. Starts up again no problem. Seems to happen hot or cold, heavy load or idling.

Can't figure it our, neither can the shop I took it to.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Vacuum leak in the hose to the fuel tap? Wide open throttle results in very little vacuum as it is so a small leak could cause fuel to stop flowing or restrict it enough to prevent proper open throttle running but still OK idle.
Captainwhoopass

Post by Captainwhoopass »

Hi jgreeno,

I would try replacing the fuel line (can't hurt, it's cheap and easy to do, and the standard ones are notoriously shoddy anyway).

You may want to check out www.modernvespa.com - I have seen this issue reported more times than you might believe on the site - particularly with ET2s and other Piaggio 50's. There does certainly seem to be some ET2 gremlins out there!

While I was not able to find any solid diagnosis or remedies with my limited search skills, I would suggest posting your issue there as well if you got a couple minutes to spare.

I know others have reported success by replacing the fuel lines, replacing the kill switch, something someone once referred to as "drilling the jets out to .80" - whatever that means (some sort of mechanical lingo WAY over my head), putting extra oil in the gas and so forth.

Check out this thread:
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic4 ... =et2+stall
And
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewto ... 7872#33787

I will be watching this with interest. Keep us posted and let us know what you find! Hope your back up and riding trouble free soon.
If you can't chrome it, curry it.
If you can't curry it, throw it away.
jgreeno

Thanks for Advice - Still Waiting on Verdict

Post by jgreeno »

I am still in search of a solution, but really appreciate all of your feedback... I meet with the mechanic tomorrow and will pass along your advice so hopefully it solves the problem.

Will let you know...
jgreeno

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Post by jgreeno »

Just wanted to give a big shout out of thanks to everyone that posed suggestions in response to my problem. As it turns out, the carb needed a bunch of adjustments as a result of being being parked for so long (the previous owner I bought the scooter from never rode it). It was not easy adjusting the carb though ... it meant making a slight change, riding the scooter, making a change again, riding it again, etc... until it was just right. But now, the Vespa rides like a dream!!!

Thanks again everyone and happy Scooting!