dust

gas type

Post by dust »

hi all
I just got my first scoot
a Kymco ZX 50
and in the manual it says to use
# 92 or # 95 gas
is that out Hi test gas or should I be OK using regular ?
thanks ?
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

I prefer premium gas. I find my scoot runs better when I use it.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

This has been discussed in the past. It goes like this. If you drive up to one or the pumps that has all three flavours of gas coming out of one hose, you get about 4 litres of whatever the last guy used as it drains out of the hose and pump mechanism. So if you hit the little 92 octane button, you pay high octane prices for 4 litres of (probably) regular and whatever else you need to fill your tank.

You aren't getting what you want. Having said that, if the book says use hi-test, use hi-test. @ 80 or so mpg who cares if its a few extra cents. Just make sure you get it from a pump with dedicated hoses. And yes, 92 is silver/mid and 95 is high test. Standard octane is 89 I think.

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

coyoteran wrote:This has been discussed in the past. It goes like this. If you drive up to one or the pumps that has all three flavours of gas coming out of one hose, you get about 4 litres of whatever the last guy used as it drains out of the hose and pump mechanism. So if you hit the little 92 octane button, you pay high octane prices for 4 litres of (probably) regular and whatever else you need to fill your tank.

You aren't getting what you want. Having said that, if the book says use hi-test, use hi-test. @ 80 or so mpg who cares if its a few extra cents. Just make sure you get it from a pump with dedicated hoses. And yes, 92 is silver/mid and 95 is high test. Standard octane is 89 I think.

Trevor
Good point Trevor, this is why I fill a couple of 10 litre jerry cans at the station after I fill my car with high test, then I know what is going in my bike...
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
dust

Post by dust »

thanks guys
see you on the road
jgreeno

Gas Type

Post by jgreeno »

I have a tuned 50cc, and I find a HUGE diffrence between low 89 and permium. Try to get the Husky/Mohawk ethanol type as it is 95 octane (vs the typical 91 premium.)

As mentioned above when gas stations use a shared hose you are not getting very much premium. BUT try to find some old neighbourhood Husky/mohawk as they still have a seperate hose. I know of 3 in town.

That 95 ethanol gave me 5km extra top speed and cleaner idling/accleration over the 91 standard premium. Lets be honest, with a 50cc we need all the extra juice we can get. A scooterist with a 150 or 200 might not even notice, but I gurantee with a new full tank you will.

I am still searching for a octane booster safe to use in 2-strokes (check btw as most are not safe) to use when no sepeate hose gas station is available.
"The basic rule of human nature is that powerful people speak slowly and subservient people quickly -- because if they don't speak fast nobody will listen to them."
Captainwhoopass

Post by Captainwhoopass »

My scooter is also big fan of the Husky/Mohawk premium and runs like a dream on it.

Do be aware however, that a lot of "premium" gasolines have additives that can potentially gum up a tiny scooty engine.
If you can't chrome it, curry it.
If you can't curry it, throw it away.