Looking for smallframe

A place to peddle and look for stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Wow, it looks to be in really nice shape, unmolested and it appears complete.

If ya need company for the road trip we'll take the Mazda and trailer for a romp to Montana. Hopefully that will keep me alive for Christmas. :wink:
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Company is always good. Thanks.

Not too sure how it is all going to work. I have to present documentation to the US border crossing 72 hours before I bring the bike back. Could be two trips.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Nah, two trip's shouldn't be needed. A faxed bill of sale along with the customs stuff to the proper numbers and all is sorted out. Friends have done it with VW's lots. The only problem is you need to cross at a specified border crossing during working hours.

The US side gets all the leaving paper work, you pick it up on the way back when its all done, present it to the Canadian side and pay any needed taxes and get more paperwork for registration.

Do you have all the numbers and such for importing?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Working on it. Also there is no title which adds another wrinkle but a certified bill of sale is supposed to be OK.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Any tips or numbers you can give me would be great. I have found a border crossing south of Lethbridge which is open 24 hrs a day. It is directly north of Conrad, Montana which is where the scoot will end up
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

A friend just went through the process last year with an old VW and here is what he said
Make sure you fax US Customs at the border crossing you want to cross at least 72 hours in advance with the official Title for the car (both sides of document), as well as bill of sale documents that link the owners name listed on the Title all the way to you. If you've bought the car from a private individual, the Title probably lists the PO's name, so a bill of sale from him to you is all that's needed. If the car's been thru a couple of owners, or a dealer, you need to fax this whole paper trail. If you're crossing at Sweetgrass/Coutes, you can fax Barb at US Customs Sweetgrass, fax no. 406-335-2933 (phone 406-335-9559 x-225).

You need to stop at US Customs prior to entering back into Canada, with the original copies of all these documents. The Title also needs to be signed off on the back by the person who's name appears on the front. US Customs uses the 72 hrs to check out the car for any liens owed to US citizens, and will stamp your Title with a big 'released for export' stamp assuming they're satisfied.

Proceeding to the Canadian side, you then need to show our people this documentation, and pay your GST on the purchase. They'll issue you a Federal Import form, with an exemption to any federal inspection requirements (due to the 15+ year age of the car). You'll need to pass the Alberta Out of Province inspection process before you can register it, but otherwise you'll be good to go.

If the car is younger than 15 years old, its a whole other ball game. You're responsible for bringing the car to Canadian federal safety standards (5 mph bumpers etc.). These mod's might be really expensive, so do your homework.
It may not be the same lady working there but the phone/fax number should be the same. He said they were quite helpfull and easy to deal with. Not having a title might present a hickup, I don't know how much, the US Customs people should tell you how much and what extra hoops you need to jump through.

The Coutes/Sweetgrass crossing is north of Conrad, so your using the same one he did. Even though the border crossing is open 24hours the US office that you need to stop at for paperwork is not. Something silly like no weekends and only monday-friday and closing at sometime near 2pm. (like i said silly). Give them a call to confirm though, also find out where their office is that you need to this stuff at. I'm not sure if its before the crossings or inbetween the US and Canadian gates.
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

SLC Hell-O-Ween

Date: Oct. 27th,2006 - Oct. 29th,2007 [countdown image]
contact email: [retreive email address]
for info contact:
A weekend of riding and debauchery (music, costumes, etc.)...
I was a mod before you was a mod.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Kevin,

Thanks for all your help
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/204924369.html

John, Should I stop!?

Damn maybe we should just start collecting these small frames and work on them together, sell them and make money for the club?
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Angelo wrote:http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/204924369.html

John, Should I stop!?

Damn maybe we should just start collecting these small frames and work on them together, sell them and make money for the club?
Repost!

Angelo, that bike is so page 1 :D
furnaceman

Post by furnaceman »

John if you want to borrow my smaller trailer you are more than welcome to it is set up for one scoot only and is very easy to pull even with my old jetta.

Bruce
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Thanks for the offer Bruce,

I have a small trailer already. Probably should repack the bearings though.